This Dutch Bros Cocomo recipe is the perfect thing for people who like their coffee with a coconut twist. The sweet taste of chocolate and coconut together tastes just like a Bounty candy bar and will be a delight to your taste buds.
No matter which temperature or style you're craving, this recipe will help you make this delicious drink hot or cold!
What is the Cocomo from Dutch Bros?
The Cocomo Dutch Bros drink is basically a coconut mocha. It has a blend of coconut syrup, shots of espresso, and their exclusive chocolate milk. It is one of the "Dutch Faves" on the Dutch Bros coffee menu and can be enjoyed hot, iced, or as a freeze.
Ingredients for this Dutch Bros Cocomo Recipe
Scroll down to the recipe card at the bottom of the page for the detailed ingredient measurements.
- Bold Espresso: Be sure to use high-quality espresso from good coffee beans so that the coffee base of your drink has a rich flavor.
- Coconut Syrup: adds a sweetness as well as that iconic Dutch Bros Cocomo flavor.
- Chocolate Milk: combines with the sweet coconut flavor to make this a Dutch Bros mocha.
- Whipped Cream and Shredded Coconut: are optional if you want toppings.
- Ice (Optional): if you're making cold drinks.
How to Make this Dutch Bros Cocomo Recipe (Hot)
- Brew your espresso and warm up your milk by either microwave, stove top pan, or a steaming tube on an espresso machine.
- Combine the espresso, steamed chocolate milk, and coconut syrup in a mug and stir.
- Enjoy as is or with whipped cream on top.
How to Make this Dutch Bros Cocomo Recipe (Iced)
- Brew two shots of espresso and allow it to cool to room temperature.
- Fill a tall glass with ice and pour in the cooled espresso, coconut syrup, and the chocolate milk. Give it a stir.
- Top with whipped cream or make a homemade Dutch Bros Soft Top Recipe.
Make it even colder by pouring all of the ingredients into a cocktail shaker and give it a good shake.
How to Make this Dutch Bros Cocomo Recipe (Blended)
- Brew the espresso shots and let it cool.
- Put the espresso, coconut syrup, chocolate milk, ice cubes, and 1/4 teaspoon xanthan gum into a blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour in a serving glass and enjoy as is or topped with whipped cream and shredded coconut.
Why Put Xanthan Gum?
Xanthan gum is an emulsifier and helps liquids bind together a lot better. This way the ice and the liquid odn't separate as quickly. It is commonly used in milkshakes and smoothies to give it a delicious mouth feel. If you don't have xanthan gum, you can use guar gum.
Why You Need to Make this Recipe!
- This recipe only requires a few simple ingredients that you can easily find at the local store.
- It is the best way to cool off on a hot day with this unique frozen or iced mocha.
- Skip the energy drink and have this instead for your morning kick-start or afternoon pick-me-up.
- Make this coffee creation in the comfort of your own home and feel like a Dutch Bros barista.
Frequently Asked Questions - FAQ
How Do I Store My Leftover Cocomo?
Storing your leftover of today's coffee will depend on how you prepared it. I
f you made it hot, simply pour it into an airtight container and leave it in the fridge in the mug as is. It should last for 3 days.
If you made it iced, you should remove the ice by either fishing the cubes out with a spoon or pouring the coffee through a sieve into a different jar. Removing the ice will ensure that your coffee keeps its flavor and doesn't get diluted.
If you made a frozen blended Cocomo, it is not recommended to save it because it will not have the same flavor or texture once you enjoy it again. The chipped ice would have melted and watered-down the drink. When making it blended, try to only make enough that you know you will be able to finish in one serving.
What Ingredient Substitutions Can I Make for the Dutch Bros Cocomo Recipe?
- Instead of Espresso: You could use cold brew concentrate or regular, strongly brewed coffee from a drip coffee maker or French press. You could also use an instant coffee packet with warm water if you're in a rush.
- Instead of Coconut Syrup: Try sugar-free syrups to reduce the sugar content in the drink. If you're just tired of the flavor and want to switch up or even add to the coconut, try chocolate macadamia nut syrup or maple syrup.
- Instead of Chocolate Milk: try a splash of heavy cream or a scoop of chocolate or vanilla ice cream for an extra creamy texture. If you don't want the dairy milk and are looking for plant-based instead, try soy milk, a splash of coconut milk, or warm almond milk. You could also use oat milk to make an oat milk Cocomo. Just remember to add a couple tablespoons of chocolate syrup to create that chocolate milk flavor. White chocolate syrup could be substituted for the regular chocolate.
Can I Use Coconut Extract Instead of Coconut Syrup?
You could if you want to. Extract isn't sweet like syrup so you would just have to add extra sweetener. Syrup is preferable for this recipe because it gives both flavor and sweetness.
Also, use less extract than the amount for the syrup.
Extract is much stronger than syrup and can quickly overpower your drink. When adding it, start slow and then taste and adjust.
What is the Nutritional Information for the Dutch Bros Cocomo Recipe?
Due to varying amounts of ingredients used in combination with the ice, the nutrition facts of the Cocomo will change based on how you're having it. Here is the nutritional content of a medium-sized drink as hot, iced, or blended.
A hot beverage will have 540 calories, 18 grams of fat, 77 grams of sugar, and 15 grams of protein. An iced version will have 420 calories, 14 grams of fat, 61 grams of sugar, and 11 grams of protein. And finally, a medium blended Cocomo freeze will have 730 calories, 22 grams of fat, 108 grams of sugar, and 18 grams of protein.
The Best Dutch Bros Cocomo Recipe
dutch bros cocomo recipe
- 2 shots of espresso or 4 oz of strong brewed coffee
- 3 tablespoon of coconut syrup
- 1 cup chocolate milk
- Whipped cream optional
- Brew two shots of espresso or prepare 4 oz of strong coffee. Allow it to cool slightly.2 shots of espresso
- Add the espresso to a tall glass, top it with the coconut syrup and the chocolate milk. Fill the rest of the cup with ice and enjoy as is or topped with whipped cream.3 tablespoon of coconut syrup, 1 cup chocolate milk, Whipped cream
- Brew two shots of espresso or prepare 4 oz of strong coffee in a mug. Top that with the coconut syrup and steamed chocolate milk. Enjoy as is or with whipped cream.
- Add the espresso shots, coconut syrup, chocolate milk, 1/4 teaspoon xanthan gum (this is an emulsifier), and 1 cup of ice to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour in a serving glass and enjoy as is or topped with whipped cream.