This Dutch Bros Annihilator recipe is the perfect pick for every coffee lover who's a Dutch Bros fan! This indulgent drink will take your taste buds on a wild ride while keeping some money in your pocket at the same time. The next time you're in the mood for the delicious flavor of this popular coffee chain, try this copycat recipe at home instead!
What Is a Dutch Bros Annihilator?
The Annihilator from Dutch Bros is a chocolate macadamia nut breve. This delicious drink's creamy texture comes from luscious half-and-half and strong espresso and combines the flavors of rich chocolate and buttery nutty macadamia.
What Is a Breve?
Breve is an American version of the Caffe Latte from Italy. It is made up of equal parts steamed half-and-half and espresso shots to give it an even thicker and richer mouth feel.
Ingredients For Making This Dutch Bros Annihilator Recipe
Scroll down to the recipe card at the bottom of the page for detailed measurements of each ingredient.
- Shots of Espresso: Espresso is part one of what makes up the breve and is responsible for the caffeine and bold coffee flavor. Higher quality beans processed from a good espresso machine will yield the best flavor. However, mostly any form of coffee would work with this recipe.
- Half-and-Half: To get the same creamy texture that you would get from Dutch Bros, we will be using half-and-half to make it a true authentic breve. If you don't want half and half, you can use your preferred milk of your choice.
- Chocolate Macadamia Nut Syrup: Dutch Bros specifically uses the combo chocolate macadamia nut syrup from Torani Syrups. Click the link on the item if you'd like to get yourself the real deal. If not, you will have to individually use chocolate syrup and macadamia nut syrup.
- Whipped Cream: The best coffees from Dutch Bros coffee shops have a swirl of whipped cream to top it off so we're going to follow their lead.
- Chocolate Sauce: This drink in particular goes great with a drizzle of chocolate sauce on top to finish it off.
- Ice (Optional): Only include ice if you want a blended or iced coffee beverage.
How To Make This Dutch Bros Annihilator Recipe (Hot)
Scroll down to the recipe card at the bottom of the page for full step-by-step instructions.
- Brew your espresso or coffee.
- In a small saucepan or microwave-safe container, heat the half-and-half until it's warm but not boiling. You can do this on the stovetop over low heat or in the microwave. Stir occasionally to prevent scorching.
- Add the chocolate macadamia nut syrup into a cup then top it off with the espresso and the warmed half and half. Add whipped cream if you'd like and a drizzle of chocolate sauce and enjoy!
How To Make This Dutch Bros Annihilator Recipe (Iced)
- Brew your espresso or regular hot coffee. I strongly suggest using espresso if you can for this drink though!
- Grab a cup and fill it with ice and pour in the syrup in the syrup.
- Add in the half and half and top it with your freshly brewed espresso.
- Shake it or stir it to incorporate the flavors and enjoy your iced annihilator!
- You can also top it with whipped cream as well!
How To Make This Dutch Bros Annihilator Recipe (Blended)
- Brew your fresh espresso shot with your preferred method.
- Grab your high-speed blender and pour in your ice, chocolate macadamia nut syrup, half-and-half, and espresso coffee. If you have xanthin gum then add about 1/4 teaspoon to the mix to help everything emulsify.
- Blend for 20-30 seconds.
- Pour into a glass, top with whipped cream and chocolate sauce, grab yourself a straw and enjoy your blended annihilator!
Why You Need to Make This Recipe
- Making this coffee drink at home will allow you to save money in the long run by buying ingredients in bulk from the grocery store.
- One of the main perks is being able to fully customize your coffee in any way you like, without having to worry about additional costs and unreasonable prices.
- Save time by skipping the drive to the coffee shop. Now you never have to leave your house for your favorite coffee!
Ingredient Substitutions You Can Make
- Instead of Espresso: It's understandable that espresso can sometimes be difficult to make at home, therefore you can use form of coffee you'd like with this copycat recipe. As previously mentioned, cold brew coffee works great in the iced or blended versions. Instant coffee is a perfect substitute for when you're in a hurry and don't have time. Decaffeinated coffee is great way to be able to enjoy this delicious drink any time of the day!
- Instead of Half-and-Half: For an even creamier beverage, use a splash of heavy cream or even a scoop of ice cream, preferably chocolate or a nutty flavor. For lighter options, whole milk, 2% milk, or nonfat milk will work. To make it dairy-free, use a plant-based type of milk such as soy milk, oat milk, coconut milk, or almond milk. You could also use chocolate milk for an even deeper chocolate flavor.
- Sugar-Free Option: To lower your sugar intake and to make your homemade Annihilator sugar-free, use Torani Sugar-free Chocolate Macadamia Nut Syrup.
Recipe Variations You Can Make
- White Chocolate Syrup: If you used two individual syrups for the chocolate macadamia nut syrup, make this a White Annihilator by using a white chocolate sauce over the dark chocolate syrup.
- Add Additional Flavors: Adding extra flavors is never a bad idea. Tell me some caramel sauce wouldn't go great with chocolate and macadamia nut, it would taste like a candy bar! A pinch of vanilla flavor always helps the flavor of chocolate so you could add a pump or two of vanilla syrup to this drink as well.
- Toppings: Spruce up your coffee by adding a sprinkle of chocolate chips or chocolate shavings on top of the whipped cream and chocolate sauce. Chocolate chips would especially work well in the blended version.
Frequently Asked Questions - FAQ
How to Store the Dutch Bros Annihilator?
Since this coffee beverage has dairy, you're going to want to store it in an airtight container and put it in the fridge. This is the easiest when you made a hot annihilator breve.
For the iced version, you should first strain your liquid from the ice before storing to prevent the coffee from becoming watered down.
You could make it ahead of time and freeze for a later date by pouring the mixture into an ice cube tray and making pre-made coffee ice cubes.
How Do I Make Espresso?
You can only make espresso if you have the equipment and items necessary to do so, such as the right espresso machine and espresso coffee beans. If you don't, you won't be able to technically make espresso.
Using a Keurig or any other brand that has machines that use the pods will be the easiest. Simply place a pod in the chamber and brew your shot of espresso. If you have a DIY espresso machine that uses loose espresso grounds, then you'll have to manually brew it yourself.
Start by grinding the beans down to a fine powder. The fineness of the powder actually matters or else the pressure won't be right during the brewing process. Once the powder is finely ground, put a scoop into the portafilter and insert it into the slot. Then start the machine and brew your espresso. If the pressure is too high or too low, your espresso won't brew correctly, and you'll have to use fresh re-ground beans.
Can I Make Espresso with Instant Coffee?
Technically it wouldn't be called espresso but you can definitely make something close. Add about 1/2 to 1 tablespoon of instant coffee to 1/4 cup hot water, stir and use as espresso.
You can also purchase espresso powder and use that instant of the instant coffee for a better flavored beverage.
Where Else Can I Find the Chocolate Macadamia Nut Syrup for the Dutch Bros Annihilator?
If you don't want to order the Torani Chocolate Macadamia Nut Syrup from Amazon, you can definitely find it at multiple grocery stores while you're out doing your weekly shopping. It is also available at Walmart, Target, and World Market, all for the same price.
How to Make a Vegan Annihilator
To make a vegan Annihilator, all you have to do is use plant-based milks instead of dairy milk and make sure to substitute the dairy whipped cream with vegan whipped cream. Also make sure the chocolate sauce drizzle is vegan as well.
The Best Dutch Bros Annihilator Recipe Copycat (2024)
Dutch Bros annihilator - Chocolate macadamia latte
- 2 shots espresso
- 3/4 cup half and half
- 3 tablespoons chocolate macadamia syrup Adjust to taste
- whipped cream
- chocolate sauce for drizzling
- Brew your espresso or coffee using your preferred method. I used an espresso machine but feel free to go with 1/4 cup hot water and 1 tablespoon instant coffee if you don't have an espresso machine.
- In a small saucepan or microwave-safe container, heat the half-and-half until it's warm but not boiling. You can do this on the stovetop over low heat or in the microwave for about 1-2 minutes. Stir occasionally to prevent scorching.
- Add the chocolate macadamia nut syrup into a cup then top it off with the espresso then the warmed up half and half. Add whipped cream if you'd like and a drizzle of chocolate sauce and enjoy!