This delicious Starbucks Peppermint Mocha Frappuccino recipe is an absolute hit this holiday season! People wait all year to be able to get their hands on one of these. Trust me, I was one of them. But now we all can skip the months of waiting because the best copycat peppermint mocha recipe is finally here!
This easy recipe is a breeze to follow and is the perfect thing to get you ready for the Christmas season! The next time you're thinking about heading to your nearest Starbucks to grab one of their seasonal drinks, pull up this Starbucks copycat recipe and make your own homemade Frappuccino instead!
What Is a Starbucks Peppermint Mocha Frappuccino?
The Peppermint Mocha Frappe recipe from Starbucks consists of whole milk, Frappuccino roast pumps, mocha sauce, peppermint syrup, whipped cream, ice, and chocolate shavings. It essentially tastes like a candy cane dipped in chocolate. For being a cold drink, it's surprisingly refreshing when it's cold outside because of the peppermint flavor.
What Do I Need for This Starbucks Copycat Peppermint Mocha?
- Espresso: Shots of espresso are perfect because they add concentrated coffee flavor without adding excess water to the drink. You could make espresso using an espresso machine, from a Nespresso capsule, or even by mixing some instant coffee with a little water.
- Xanthan Gum: The key ingredient in thickening the mixture and giving it that Frappuccino texture.
- 2% Milk: There are plenty of substitutions you can use instead but the fat content of 2% milk is the perfect middle between too much and not enough.
- Peppermint Syrup: This is perfect for a quick and on-the-go drink maker. All you'd have to do is add a little of this and it will both sweeten and add that delicious peppermint flavor. You can use code LOAF for 15% off!
- Chocolate Syrup: Chocolate syrup pairs beautifully with the peppermint and helps bring it to life.
- Ice: You will be blending this delicious drink with ice to give it that frozen Frappe feel.
- Blender: You will need a high speed blender to fully incorporate all of the ingredients together.
How Do I Make This Copycat Starbucks Peppermint Mocha?
Scroll down to the bottom of the page to find the recipe card with full detailed instructions and measurements!
- In a blender, pour in the espresso, xanthan gum, milk, peppermint syrup, chocolate syrup, and ice. Blend until smooth.
- Grab a tall glass and pour your coffee mixture into the glass from the blender.
- Top with whipped cream and your favorite toppings and enjoy!
What Toppings Can I Add?
Besides the whipped cream, you can add dark chocolate curls to make it like the Starbucks version. Most people don't just have those lying around so a sprinkle of cocoa powder can do the same. If you're looking for even more peppermint flavor, you can add crushed peppermint candies as well!
How Do I Make a Skinny Peppermint Mocha?
You can easily reduce the calories with a couple of substitutions. This will allow you to be able to enjoy as many coffee drinks as you want without worrying about putting on that extra winter weight!
- Replace the 2% milk with skim milk.
- Use sugar-free chocolate syrup instead of regular.
- Use sugar-free sweeteners instead of normal sugar.
What Ingredient Substitutions Can I Make?
Extra Satisfying: For a dessert version, use half-and-half or heavy cream instead of 2% milk. The extra fat content will give this frappe a velvety smooth mouth feel.
Vegan: Replace dairy milk with vegan milk such as almond milk, coconut milk, oat milk, or soy milk. You'll also want to make sure you're using a chocolate syrup that is vegan as well as some may contain dairy products.
No Espresso: If you don't have espresso, you could makeshift some by taking instant coffee and mixing it with a small amount of water. Cold brew coffee could be a fine substitute as well. For a decaf peppermint mocha, use decaf coffee in this delicious recipe.
Starbucks Peppermint Mocha Frappuccino Recipe Copycat
Starbucks peppermint mocha fappuccino
- 2 shots espresso cooled down
- ½ cup 2% milk or a dairy-free alternative
- 3 tablespoons chocolate sauce
- 2-3 tablespoons peppermint syrup to taste
- ¼ teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1 cup ice
- whipped cream
- crushed candy canes or peppermint candies for topping
- In a blender, add the cooled espresso, milk, chocolate sauce, peppermint syrup, xanthan gum, and ice. You can adjust the sweetness and peppermint flavor to your liking after blending.2 shots espresso, ½ cup 2% milk, 3 tablespoons chocolate sauce, 2-3 tablespoons peppermint syrup, ¼ teaspoon xanthan gum, 1 cup ice
- Blend everything until the mixture is smooth and creamy. Taste the Frappuccino and adjust the sweetness and peppermint flavor if you would like.
- Pour the drink into a tall cup, add whipped cream on top, chocolate sauce, candy canes, or whatever you decide to top your drink with, and enjoy!whipped cream, crushed candy canes or peppermint candies