Starbucks Apple Crisp Macchiato is one of my all-time favorite fall drinks. This easy-to-make recipe is full of devious autumn flavors like apples, brown sugar, and cinnamon. This drink tastes like a fresh slice of homemade apple pie.
The weather is cooling down, the leaves are changing, and you know what that means… Starbucks fall drinks are out!
Their fall menu which consists of pumpkin chai, iced apple crisp oat milk macchiato, and yummy bakery items like an apple crescent.
This has to be my favorite ultimate fall drink, other than apple cider and the classic pumpkin spice latte, of course!
However, the best part of this Starbucks copycat recipe is that you can enjoy this delicious drink without leaving the house.
Ingredients You Will Need to Make the Apple Crisp Syrup
- Apple: is the first ingredient in the pot when creating your syrup; it starts as the perfect base flavor for your syrup.
- Brown Sugar: adds both a sweet flavor and acts as a thickener to your homemade syrup.
- Apple Juice: is used as the base liquid ingredient to this syrup. I recommend getting a higher-end apple juice that does not have additional sugar added or is sugar-free as it may change the flavor.
- Water: helps thin out your syrup.
- Cinnamon: adds a warm flavoring that pairs well with the other apple crisp ingredients, making it the perfect addition to this syrup.
- Vanilla: tastes like a fruity, sweet, and spicy flavoring that goes perfectly in an Apple Crisp Macchiato.
- Apple Flavoring: is 100% optional but will give you more of an intense apple flavor.
Ingredients You Will Need to Make the Apple Crisp Drizzle
- Brown Sugar: is the thickener of the drizzle; it also adds the ideal amount of sweetness so that this sauce can be drizzled on top of your drink.
- Apple Juice: adds both the apple flavor to the drizzle as well as the liquid that mixes with the brown sugar to create a thick and delicious sauce.
- Ground Cinnamon: is mixed into the drizzle with the apple juice and brown sugar to add to the delicious fall flavors. If you're looking to add an extra dash of flavor, try nutmeg.
What You Need to Make the Starbucks Apple Crisp Macchiato
- Apple Crisp Syrup: is added on top of your drink for both additional apple flavor and to create a mouth-watering presentation.
- Milk: is added to the drink first to give it a creamy base. I like to use 2% or whole milk. You can make this a vegan drink as well by adding in thicker plant-based milk, like creamy oat milk.
- Espresso Shot: is added to this recipe to add your coffee flavor and add a little caffeine into the mix. If you're not the biggest fan of the coffee flavor, try using blonde espresso.
- Apple Crisp Drizzle: is the main apple flavoring component in your drink, this is the ingredient that is going to give it a crisp fall flavor.
How do I make a Starbucks Apple Crisp Macchiato?
Make the Apple Crisp Syrup
- Place your sliced apple in a medium saucepan. Top them with brown sugar, cinnamon, vanilla extract, apple juice, and water.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat and reduce to medium-low heat. Simmer for 15 minutes. Remove from the heat, add in the apple flavoring, and stir.
- Let your apple brown sugar syrup cool down fully, then strain.
Make the Apple Crisp Drizzle
- Place the apple juice, brown sugar, and cinnamon in a medium saucepan.
- Bring to a boil and reduce to simmer until the apple juice has reduced by about a little over ¾ of the original amount. You should have about ⅓-1/2 cup of syrup left. Note: On medium-high heat, this took about 25-30 minutes for me.
- Let the syrup cool down to room temperature.
Assemble Your Starbucks Apple Crisp Macchiato
- To a cup of ice add in the milk, 2 tablespoons of the brown sugar apple syrup.
- Top it with the freshly brewed espresso and drizzle with 2 tablespoons of apple crisp sauce, give it a good stir after taking a picture for the gram and enjoy!
My Apple Crisp Drizzle Syrup Was Reduced Too Much and Is Too Solid, What Should I Do?
If the syrup reduces too much, you can add a few tablespoons of apple juice and bring it to a simmer again to combine it, then remove from heat and cool down again.
How To Speed Up the Cooling Process for Syrup and Drizzle?
To speed up this process, pour the syrup into a shallow bowl to increase the cooling surface. It will thicken as it cools down, almost like a caramel sauce or syrup.
What Milk Should I Use In My Macchiato?
For this recipe, I am using 2% milk. You're welcome to use milk based on your preference.
Also, keep in mind, that Starbucks changed up their apple macchiato recipe in the past few years and added in oat milk instead of 2% milk.
Can I Make a Hot Version of This Recipe?
Of course! A traditional macchiato is actually a hot drink. Instead of adding your milk and cold espresso over ice cubes, steam your milk and hot espresso, and you've got yourself a hot macchiato. Easy as can be.
Starbucks Apple Crisp Macchiato Variations
More coffee. Add in more coffee! This drink is completely customizable to you and your flavor preferences. Personally, I love the flavor of coffee, so I will add more shots of espresso than a non-coffee lover. You can also change up the kinds of shots of espresso that you use to either increase or decrease the flavor of your drink.
Less sugar. If your drink has a little too much sugar for your liking, you can do one of two things. First, you can change your apple juice to less sugar; I don't recommend using sugar-free as most companies will add artificial sugar, which will change the taste of your drink. Or, you can put in fewer pumps of syrup, which will lower the amount of sugar as well.
Added flavor. I love to add caramel to my drink! This is the perfect addition because who doesn't love a caramel apple? This also adds more sweetness. You can also add on different cold foams like pumpkin cold foam or even their sweet cream cold foam.
How To Store Leftover Macchiato
I don't recommend saving your whole leftover macchiato, but you can definitely save your sauce and syrup. They will last for up to a week in an airtight container; I like to use mason jars. If you're not the biggest fan of making your own espresso shots and don't want to use leftovers, you can always purchase your own espresso shots at the store.
Starbucks Apple Crisp Macchiato Recipe Copycat
apple crisp macchiato starbucks recipe
Apple crisp drizzle
- 2 cup Apple juice
- 2 tablespoon Brown sugar
- ⅛ teaspoon cinnamon
Apple crisp syrup
- 1 large Apple Sliced
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup apple juice
- ¾ cup Water
- ¼ teaspoon Cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- ½ teaspoon apple flavoring optional
Starbucks apple crisp macchiato
- 2 tablespoon Apple crisp syrup
- ¾ cup 2% milk Use Oatmilk for their oat milk version
- 1 Espresso shot
- 2 tablespoon Apple Crisp drizzle
Make the apple crisp syrup
- Place the sliced apples in a medium sauce pan, and top them with brown sugar, cinnamon, apple juice, and water.1 large Apple Sliced, ⅓ cup brown sugar, ¼ cup apple juice, ¾ cup Water, ¼ teaspoon Cinnamon
- Bring to a boil over medium heat then reduce to medium-low heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Remove from the heat, add in the vanilla extract and apple flavoring, and stir½ teaspoon vanilla, ½ teaspoon apple flavoring optional
- Let the syrup cool down fully then strain.
Make the apple crisp drizzle sauce
- Place the apple juice, brown sugar, and cinnamon in a medium saucepan.2 cup Apple juice, 2 tablespoon Brown sugar, ⅛ teaspoon cinnamon
- Bring to a boil and reduce to simmer until the apple juice has reduced by about a little over ¾ of the original amount. You should have about ⅓-1/2 cup of syrup left. On medium high heat, this took about 25-30 minutes for me.
- Let the syrup cool down to room temperature. To speed up this process, pour the syrup into a shallow bowl to increase the cooling surface. It will thicken as it cools down and becomes almost like a caramel sauce or syrup.
Build your Starbucks apple crisp drink.
- To a cup of ice add in the milk, 2 tablespoons of the brown sugar apple syrup (use 3 tablespoons if you want it sweeter).2 tablespoon Apple crisp syrup, ¾ cup 2% milk
- Top it with the freshly brewed espresso and drizzle with 2 tablespoons of apple crisp sauce, give it a good stir after taking a picture for the gram and enjoy!1 Espresso shot, 2 tablespoon Apple Crisp drizzle