Take a trip to the tropics with this easy-to-make recipe. Cheddar’s Painkiller Cocktail recipe only requires six ingredients and will have you and your friends coming back for more.
Cheddar’s is a chain restaurant on the East Coast that is known for its honey butter croissants, chicken tenders, and homemade chick pot pie.
They’re also known for their #1 drink - The Painkiller.
This drink is one of my favorites because it reminds me of summer days on a tropical vacation or spending time at the pool.
If you don’t have a Cheddar’s Scratch Kitchen near you, no need to worry. This recipe will show you how to make your own Painkiller at home!
If you enjoy this cocktail, be sure to try out this delicious Piña Colada recipe too.
How does Cheddar's Painkiller drink taste?
The Cheddar’s painkiller tastes sweet and has a creamy texture. It is close to the taste of a piña colada but uses a different kind of rum.
This tropical drink contains both orange and pineapple juice, coconut cream, and sometimes simple syrup.
Without the rum, this drink may be a little too sweet. If you don't drink or simply want to make a virgin version, you can use alternative rum.
What are some tips for making this drink?
Buying Rum: You can use any dark rum that you’d like. However, I wouldn’t use a super cheap rum. The drink won't taste as good.
Making Your Drink: Always use a shaker to make this drink, it allows the ingredients to combine well. Stirring isn’t the best method.
Adding Nutmeg: I recommend always using freshly grated nutmeg for this drink because it gives the best flavor. Hold off on grating your nutmeg until you're ready to serve your drinks.
What do I need to make Cheddar’s Painkiller Cocktails?
Rum: dark rum is recommended in the Painkiller. Cheddar’s uses the brand Pusser’s for their drinks.
Pineapple Juice: is used as a base for this drink. The sweet flavors of the pineapple mix well with the flavors of the dark rum making this drink very refreshing.
Orange Juice: is the other base of this drink. It adds a citrus flavor that is both sweet and tart. It pairs well with both the pineapple juice and the cream of coconut for a delicious tropical flavor.
Cream of Coconut: gives this drink a sweet coconut flavor. I like to use Coco Lopez because I have found it gives the best flavor.
Simple Syrup: adds a bit of sweetness to your Painkiller.
Ice: I recommend using medium-sized ice cubes for this drink. It will still give you plenty of room when using the shaker.
For Garnish: freshly ground nutmeg, pineapple slice, maraschino cherry, freshly ground nutmeg, and shredded toasted coconut.
How do I make this Cheddar’s Painkiller Cocktail recipe?
- Pour the simple syrup onto a shallow plate. Dip the entire rim of the glass into the simple syrup, then into the toasted shredded coconut.
- Fill a shaker with dark rum, pineapple juice, orange juice, and cream of coconut. Add a scoop of ice to the shaker, and shake well until the drink is chilled.
- Strain the mixture into your prepared glass, top with more ice cubes and a dash of nutmeg for garnish.
- Garnish with a slice of pineapple and a cherry on a cocktail pick. Insert a straw and serve.
Why can you only have two painkillers at Cheddar’s?
You can only have two Painkillers because of the high alcohol content. Cheddar’s uses two to three ounces of Pusser’s rum which can make for a very strong drink.
Is a Cheddar’s Painkiller Drink the same as a Piña Colada?
No, but they’re very similar. They both have pineapple juice, coconut cream, and rum. Cheddar's Painkiller uses dark rum, while Piña Coladas use white rum. The Painkiller also has fresh nutmeg in it, while Piña Coladas do not.
What type of glass is best for serving the Cheddar's Painkiller?
For the best presentation, I would recommend using a highball or a hurricane glass. I have found that they usually hold the toasted coconut on the rim the best. They're also large enough to fit the pineapple and fruit garnishes.
Can I prepare the Cheddar's Painkiller cocktail in advance?
You can. However, nutmeg is best when it is fresh grated. For this drink, I you can go ahead and make the drink itself, but I would hold of on grating the nutmeg until you're ready to serve. I would also wait to cut your fruit until you're ready to serve, as well. This will keep it nice and fresh.
Is there a non-alcoholic version of the drink?
Yes! You will just need to leave the rum out of the drink or add in a non-alcoholic rum or rum alternative. Your drink might be a little sweeter without the rum.
Cheddar's Painkiller cocktail recipe
Cheddar's Painkiller cocktail recipe
- 2 oz dark rum
- 4 oz pineapple juice
- 2 oz orange juice
- 1 & 1/2 oz cream of coconut such as Coco Lopez
- Crushed ice
- Freshly grated nutmeg for garnish
- pineapple slice and maraschino cherry for garnish
- Toasted sweetened shredded coconut for garnish
- 1 oz simple syrup
- Pour the simple syrup onto a shallow plate. Dip the rim of the glass into the simple syrup, then into the toasted shredded coconut1 oz simple syrup, Toasted sweetened shredded coconut
- Fill a shaker with dark rum, pineapple juice, orange juice, and cream of coconut. Add a scoop of ice to the shaker, and shake well until the drink is chilled.2 oz dark rum, 4 oz pineapple juice, 2 oz orange juice, 1 & 1/2 oz cream of coconut
- Strain the mixture into your prepared glass, top with more crushed ice, and a sprinkle of nutmeg for garnish.Crushed ice, Freshly grated nutmeg
- Garnish with a pineapple slice and a cherry on a cocktail pick. Insert a straw and serve.pineapple slice and maraschino cherry